Koch Media, SEGA, Crytek, Take-Two and Ubisoft snap up various developers.
The results of the auction to sell off THQ’s assets are in, and the spoils have gone pretty much everywhere. Here’s the summary of what was bought and for how much:
- Bought by SEGA for $26.6 million
- Known for Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War, Company of Heroes
- Bought by Ubisoft for $2.5 million
- No games released since formed, 1666 and Underdog in development
- Bought by Take-Two Interactive for $10.8 million
- Unknown FPS currently in development
- Bought by Koch Media for $22.3 million
- Known for Saints Row and Red Faction series
- Bought by Crytek for $544, 218
- Sequel already in development at Crytek
- Bought by Koch Media for $5.8 million
- The sequel to Metro 2033, Metro: Last Light, due for release later this year. Both games were produced by 4A Games.
- Ubisoft snap up license to distribute South Park: The Stick of Truth for $3.2 million
- Currently in development at Obsidian Entertainment
Today’s proceedings haven’t sold off every single THQ asset however. Vigil Games, the studio behind Darksiders, didn’t attract a buyer and the same is true of the seemingly lucrative WWE license. Further efforts will be made to sell THQ’s remaining assets over the coming weeks by owners Clearlake Capital Group, but the publisher itself will be no more.
THQ’s chief executive officer Brian Farrell and president Jason Rubin sent a letter to all employees explaining that the publisher will be no more after bankruptcy proceedings run their course over the coming weeks, and you can see that statement for yourself via Kotaku.
Toy Head Quarters or THQ as they were more commonly known have been an important part of the games industry since 1990 and their influence in promoting developers and projects other publishers often overlooked will be sorely missed. Our condolences go out to all those left behind by today’s acquisitions.
Company of Heroes 2, Batman: Arkham Origins, Grand Theft Auto V, Watch_Dogs, Beyond: Two Souls and Night of the Rabbit previews.Download Now!